Glade of the King

I have too many stories going outside the computer. I really need someone to type for me. I continue to be devoted to scribbling with pen and ink. I force myself to translate my script to digital text, but I continue to find excuses to keep writing new ideas instead.

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

In Phoenix a one bedroom downstairs apartment on the corner fronting the pool. Light tan stucco walls orange curved tile roof. Deep green grass and an eggshell colored fence around palms and some bush that has great fans of long blade shaped leaves. It's almost midnight on new years eve and I've had a few beers, maybe some wine, but am not intoxicated. I come outside as it nears midnight to watch the fireworks and listen to the Mexican families fire off their pistols into the night. My Cuban neighbor, Carlos, from next door and upstairs across the walkway comes out onto his stairs. Eventually we move to the 2 bedroom apartment underneath his and make good friends with him, but for now I've only seen him in passing. From inside the television blares out the countdown and I nod at my neighbor and look up into the sky stars barely visible throughout he glow of downtown Phoenix. Suddenly someone yells out "Happy New Years " highlighted by explosion noises from firearms and fireworks. Carlos starts running toward the pool gate and I know his intentions immediately and leap forward pulling myself over the 4 foot rail fence. It's a race and we seem to be in the air at the same time. I remember seeing a hearty grin on his face as he started turning upside down right before he hit the water. I have to imagine I had the same look on my face, but I think I yelled as I hurtled through the air. Fully clothed with my lover and Carlos' wife standing out on the side walk watching and laughing at the sight. Two full grown men who've never even spoken splash each other like children, whooping and hollering fully dressed down to my boots and his sneakers. We pull ourselves out of the pool our bodies steaming from the 70 degree pool water in the 50 degree night, shake hands. I said "happy new year", he said "Felices Año Nuevo" and we both went back to our own homes..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home